Losing it

Losing it

by digby



As you know the president sent out a number of tweets this morning basically saying that Puerto Ricans "want everything to be done for them" and are "refusing to help."

Axios notes that he's been tweeting up a storm this afternoon:

President Trump sent a number of tweets Saturday in response to the disaster unfolding in Puerto Rico, and in response to San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz "begging anyone that can hear us to save us from dying."

The big picture: He's turning the focus from his morning tweets, which earned him widespread rebuke, to claiming he's being treated unfairly.

Trump's new tweets:

"Despite the Fake News Media in conjunction with the Dems, an amazing job is being done in Puerto Rico. Great people!'

"The Governor of Puerto Rico, Ricardo Rossello, is a great guy and leader who is really working hard. Thank you Ricky!"

"Congresswoman Jennifer Gonzalez-Colon of Puerto Rico has been wonderful to deal with and a great representative of the people. Thank you!"

"To the people of Puerto Rico: Do not believe the #FakeNews! #PRStrong"

"My Administration, Governor @ricardorossello, and many others are working together to help the people of Puerto Rico in every way...#FakeNews critics are working overtime, but we're getting great marks from the people that truly matter! #PRStrong"

"We must all be united in offering assistance to everyone suffering in Puerto Rico and elsewhere in the wake of this terrible disaster."

"Results of recovery efforts will speak much louder than complaints by San Juan Mayor. Doing everything we can to help great people of PR!"

Basically, he's saying that all the reporting from Puerto Rico is bullshit and everything's fine.

I guess we'll see in a few days if he's able to convince his people that's true. I'd guess they'll believe him.

Meanwhile, an attorney named Nelson Rosario shared this story:

My dad lives on the island. I shared the President's response with him this morning. He wanted me to share one anecdote in response. For context, my dad is helping with rebuilding right now, and has friends in the govt, elected and appointed, on the island. After I told him what the President said he went quiet and said "Wow." A second later he says "I'm gonna share one detail with you. One.There's a medical center down here, and everyone that was in the Intensive Care Unit, died. Everyone. That's just one detail."

He said that's what should be tweeted at the President @realDonaldTrump, so that's what I'm doing. Disaster response is insanely difficult. I get that. My wife has worked in the field for almost ten years. What I don't think is too much to ask is for the President to show a little compassion and grace.

Maybe that's me wanting everything to be done for me. All I know is I'm lucky my family is okay, and I can occasionally hear from my dad.